Matthew is a respected practitioner with specialist experience in corporate recovery, restructuring and personal insolvency matters. He joined Cor Cordis in July, 2017 with more than 28 years’ experience and he works closely with many of the firm’s clients on a national basis.
Matthew provides solutions to clients including major Banks, financiers and creditors, including the Australian Taxation Office. He has undertaken numerous business reviews to assist stakeholders with underperforming businesses and those facing financial difficulties.
Significant engagements (and industry)
- McClymont’s Toowoomba – Administration and winding up involving operations, restructuring and sale of a large poultry abattoir and meat wholesaler.
- Goanna Earthmoving – Administration and winding up involving operations and sale of a large earthmoving and civil construction business employing 90 contractors and employees.
- Atkinson Gore – Receivership involving the management and sale of 13 cattle properties, Canungra, Queensland.
- An administration and winding up involving operations and sale of 2 Coffee Club stores, Mackay, Queensland
- Comserv Group – Liquidation of a large telecommunications contractor that employed 120 staff with 74 projects underway around Australia. Complex issues resolved included ownership claims over raw materials and contractual disputes with major customers.
- Central Park Hotel, Nerang – Receivership involving operation and sale of hotel business including 22 gaming authorities
- Residential builder franchise – Monitoring and turnaround assignment over 18 months instigated by QBCC, which resulted in the builder’s financial position being restored to ensure compliance with QBCC licencing requirements
- A regional Queensland vehicle hire business – Negotiated standstill and payment arrangements with major creditors, financiers and the national franchisor. Assisted with negotiations for sale of business and 200 vehicle fleet operating from 5 locations.
- A large Pharmacy retailer – Following a complete review of the business, the owners were provided with various performance improvement measures to address the financier’s concerns.
- Various Bankruptcies – Sale of commercial properties and interests in residential properties, resolving ownership claims over real estate and pursuing voidable transactions including the issue of Official Receiver Notices to recover funds for the benefit of creditors. Realising property located overseas and recovering compulsory income contributions with the use of Official Receiver Notices.
- Professional Member, Queensland Committee Member, Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association (ARITA)
- Member, Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand
- Workshop Leader, Advanced Insolvency Course, ARITA
Areas of expertise
- Insolvency, receivership & administration
- Advice to businesses in financial difficulty
- Business turnaround
- Business reconstruction
- Property management, asset enhancement and realisations
- Receivership and secured lender recoveries
- Investigating accountant’s reviews
- Debt reconstructions
- Property & construction
- Professional practice
- Hospitality & tourism
Education and accreditation
- Bachelor of Business (Accounting)
- Registered Liquidator
- Registered Trustee in Bankruptcy
- Presentation to Building Industry Credit Bureau “A director’s safe harbor – what does it mean for creditors?”, 19 October, 2017
In the Community
- Past Treasurer, Carindale Cougars Brisbane AFL Club